Saturday, July 17, 2010

We're in Mexico now

My mind is racing. Amazing the things God will do if you just let him. I woke up this morning at 3 a.m. with words flying around my brain to the point that I don’t know where to start.

First of all, my mother bear instincts are on alert. Big city that I am unfamiliar with and so far the general attitude of the local residents is RUDE. I had to drive our car seperatley with the girls and Andon and Jeramie drove the motorhome because our car cannot be towed. Thanks to German engineering. As soon as we got there the kids piled out, Andon met us across the yard and followed us back to the motorhome. Lexi tried to run out into the road, which is busy with self-absorbed drivers flying down the street obviously ignoring the speed laws. “Look out Lex, your gonna get ran over, DO NOT run into the road and DO NOT come out here with out mom or dad” I yelled in a panic. “Yeah Lex, otherwise you will get ran over ‘cause we’re in Mexico now” Andon warned her. Well, maybe not exactly the real Mexico, but close enough.

This week in Medford has been totally of God. We have spent tons of time with Jeramie’s extended family. The dialogue in conversation has been challenging, exactly what we love. We have had the chance to really get into the meat of beginner belief and it was an exercise in preparation. We know the answers to so many of these questions but have a hard time articulating them verbally. We have confirmed that we are equipped with knowledge but need practice in readiness. The way God set up this lesson for us has been merciful, the opportunity to do this in the safety of our family is blessing.

It started with dinner at Jeramie’s Uncles with his wife, Jeramie’s cousin and his wife, their adorable kids and Grandma. All of a sudden the questions started firing and I mean from all sides of the room. Your initial reaction is to take cover under the table but we were quickly reminded to stand tall and take one for team Christian. The questions seem basic but all entwine together so we spent more time trying to unravel the answer to extract the appropriate information for the specific topics. We got “if Adam and Eve are the first people and Cain killed Abel then where did the cave man come from?”, “how do you explain dinosaurs?”, “why can’t evolution and creation work together?” and the conversation developed into “what does it mean to be a Christian?” and “what does it really take to be saved?”. IT WAS AWESOME and I do mean AWESOME!

Jeramie has gotten to spend some one on one time with his cousin who he loves sooo dearly. This time the visit is bittersweet. The visits are too few between and now will extend even further. Jeramie talks often of Jake wishing we could see him more. This time he has gotten to watch Jake be a dad which we haven’t had the chance to do yet. He is an awesome dad. Oh, and did I mention his kids are adorable?

We were able to trade our all wheel drive, not towable family car for something that we all still fit in and can actually attach to the back of the motorhome. What? So it is our seventh car in the last twelve months. WHATEVER!! The best part for any of you who have known us… we officially own a Jeep Grand Cherokee…AGAIN. Stop laughing at me. We made the trade while the kids were napping. When they got up I excitedly (o.k. the excitement might have been a little forced) asked “look outside, see anything new?”. “A new car!!!” says Lex, “mom isn’t that just like the car we had that drove like a tank?” says Andon. Yes, I have once again been asked to learn another lesson on contentment. This last fall we had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I thought I would like and decided I did not. It drove like a tank. It felt like a tank. I haven’t actually ever driven a tank but if I do I am sure the Jeep will have all of the same characteristics. Funny thing, this one is a bit different. Smaller engine, not all wheel drive, etcetera but I don’t mind driving it this time around. I still haven’t decided if it is the rig that is different or me that is different.

I have gotten to spend a lot of time with Grandma. We have talked about everything from things she use to do to things she thinks I should do. She says it all out of love and has always spoken her mind so I am not shocked by anything. We have had a moment of frustration that has been lovingly diffused. The kids and I are on our own little schedule and I kinda-sorta like things my way. Grandma is on her own little schedule and she kinda-sorta likes things her own way. Somehow we have learned the hard way that my schedule and my way are not her schedule and her way. Or is it her schedule and her way are not my schedule and my way? When on a normal visit our schedule would be put on hold and we would gladly maintain Grandma’s schedule. This trip is longer than normal. We can’t stop life and disrupt our patterns for an entire week. My kids are already somewhat energized by the change in scenery in the first place and I am pretty sure they were sucking all of grandma’s energy resources dry. But we are here to see Grandma, spend time with Grandma and love on Grandma so Grandma’s way it is.

I was trying to get my hellions out of the house to burn off some energy so I loaded them up and we made our way to Jacksonville, which is right outside of Medford. What a sweet little town. History is big to them. The main street buildings are all restored to their original historical structures. Aunt Cella told us about the Children’s Museum over there so off we went. It was closed until further notice. Bummer. It turned out to be o.k. I was probably more interested in seeing it then the kids were as it was. However, you can’t go to the trouble of loading up three kids, snacks and all, tell them we are going somewhere and then just go home. We drove around the block to turn around to go to the park in Medford. While doing so, we passed a park. O.K. guys, we can go back to the park we went to yesterday or we can go to this park right here, right now. One vote for here, one vote for yesterday. The court has over-ruled, we are going here. This was another God thing, the court was actually ready to drive back to Medford. Medford’s park was bigger with more stuff to play on. This one, though very clean, was smaller and crawling with other peoples kids. You should listen when you are gently tugged. I sat down in the shade with all of our stuff, water bottles, six bags of snacks, diaper wipes for nasty things. Another mom sat down about three feet from me. No big deal, shade is limited and it was only 100 degrees out, no joke. Hmmm, now that I think of it, that also might have something to do with my insistence on maintaining my rigid schedule. Food for thought. ANYWAY, her kid decided to test his authority, she nonchalantly “disciplined” him. He nonchalantly did not respond. I gently smiled that “lady, if that is all you have, you are going to be in so much trouble” mixed with “thank God that is not my kid” coated with “we all have bad days” smile. O.K. God convict me now! And….He did. Soooo, I struck up a real conversation, “are you from here?” I asked. “We used to be but we just moved to Central Point - can he have some of your snacks?” She pointed to her hellion. Did she just ask me what I think I heard her just ask me? What do I look like, a stinkin’ mini-mart? Lady, feed your own dang kid. O.K. God convict me again! And…He did. “Um, sure”. That was all it took. A simple “um, sure”. You could see her trust in me explode. We got to talk about where we use to be from (Bend), where we are headed (not quite sure) and why (not quite sure). It turns out, she and her family are like so many others that have given up. Husband lost his job. Moved from the comfortable lifestyle to what sounds like the stereo-typical apartment complex I have vowed to never live. She struggles with depression, has two kids and cares but doesn’t. She wanted all my secrets to motherhood because my kids are amazing. I chose not to tell her I was there to get my hellions out of Grandma’s hair. We ended the conversation and I rounded up my kids. She told me one last thing before I left, “you are so friendly, no one is friendly anymore, this is your calling while out on the road. You have been such an inspiration to me today, I bet that’s it, to be an inspiration to other moms. You are awesome, I just met you and I am gonna cry”. No, Kristen, I am not awesome, you didn’t meet me today, you met the Holy Spirit because I didn’t want to share my snacks. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment